Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: MIMED Digests

From: chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 03:16:05 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: MIMED Digests
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In rec.music.gaffa you write:

>Is IED the only person who gets about every other Digest in
>"MIME"-encoded format these days?  Someone or something is putting
>something in Love-Hounds that needs a MIME decoder to be
>seen, and the last three that IED downloaded didn't do the trick.
>Whether the whole Digest is encoded or only specific postings,
>the result is that the entire thing becomes unopenable here.

   Without looking closely, I believe it's due to some people
posting using Netscape's awful "Communicator" mail program.
Apparently, it defaults to sending mail as HTML. This is a
valid MIME type, and apparently the digester is forced to
MIME the entire digest.

>Is it strictly necessary to be MIMEing the Digest these days?
>If so, could someone explain why, and also please identify an
>inexpensive Mac-compatible decoder that really works?

    Or everyone could just turn that wretched "HTML mail"
crap off. Please, please, please...submit messages to
rec.music.gaffa/love-hounds as PLAIN ASCII.

--
Chris Williams of
Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago