Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate Covers Others

From: "Ronald W. Garrison" <rwgarr@intrex.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 19:02:36 -0400
Subject: Re: Kate Covers Others
To: rec-music-gaffa@ncren.net
To: gearnoise@VNET.IBM.COM
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

gearnoise@VNET.IBM.COM wrote:

> Without picking particular songs, I would find it interesting to hear
> a KaTe interpretation of works by the following artists:
>
> - Heart (How would she handle, for example, Baracuda?)

...Hopefully not at all. I'm not a real big Heart fan--can elaborate if
you really want.

> - Jimi Hendrix (?! - but The Watchtower comes to mind. Could KaTe do
> it
>   without affectation?)

--I doubt it. I like the song a lot, but it's not her kind of tune to
sing.

> - Edith Piaf (God, I would love to hear a modernization of her stuff!
>   can hear Kate singing Rien, Je ne regrette rien (sp) in the back of
>   my brain as I'm writing this.  And I haven't even heard Piaf's in
>   nearly 30 years. Sooo many to choose from....)

--Not familiar, so no comment.

> - David Bowie (My wife and son like his voice, but I'm always
> wondering
>   what someone like KaTe could do with his music)
> - David Byrne (Betcha all the work it would take would be worth it)

--Now there's a couple of possibilities. Could be tricky, but if done
right if might just work--but only for certain songs.

It's a project fraught with danger. Ever heard her version of

> "Rocket Man"?

--Ron

http://www.intrex.net/rwgarr/