Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What's Kate saying on "Hello Earth"

From: "Ronald W. Garrison" <rwgarr@intrex.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 18:58:03 -0400
Subject: Re: What's Kate saying on "Hello Earth"
To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
To: dippy-donald@t-online.de
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

dippy-donald wrote:

> > I just got the remastered HOl and heard something I never noticed
> before
> > At the end of  "Hello Earth"   she speaks something that I thought
> was
> > Gaelic.  But my Irish girlfriend tells me its not Irish Gaelic.
> Anyne
> > have any idea?  It comes about 30 seconds before the start of track
> 12 and
> > is just whispered.
>
> I donīt know much about Gaelic, but as a native German speaker I can
> swear you that the whispered words at the end of "Hello Earth" are
> without any doubt a perfectly correct german sentence with a certain
> poetic quality.
>
> Gaby Zangerl whispers with a highly accurate pronunciation the words:
> "Tiefer, tiefer - Irgendwo in der Tiefe gibt es ein Licht!" which
> translates to "Deeper, deeper - somewhere in the depth there is a
> light!" - as some of you already have mentioned correctly.
>
> Keep breathing!
> Stephan
>
> Rose, reiner Widerspruch, Lust, Niemandes Schlaf zu sein unter soviel
> Lidern.
>
> Rainer Maria Rilke

My HOL liner notes say "Garby Zangerl", but that's probably a
typo--looks like your spelling is probably the correct one. Actually, I
had always assumed it was a processed voice of Kate's. There are all
those credits on the lines notes, but it's not at all clear what they
do.

BTW I have a LP verison of HOL that has the one additional line--"And a
big woof for Bonnie and Clyde". Any idea what that's all about?

--Ron

--
http://www.intrex.net/rwgarr/