Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Paya Paya Paya

From: "Ronald W. Garrison" <rwgarr@intrex.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 16:59:57 -0400
Subject: Re: Paya Paya Paya
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
To: cbullard@hiwaay.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

len bullard wrote:

> Renee writes:
>
> Don't do it for the
> money.  Don't do it for free.  Get something you want.  Look
> at it like this;  a lot of people move here from India to work
> because America is wealthy and India is not.  Yet,
> here I am listening to bhajans, ragas, and ghazals.    Why?
> I have 12 notes and they have 22.  Rich is what one doesn't have.
> Were the Sadhus the poorest or the wealthiest of men, Renee?

AND (from len?)...

> Still, I have to agree with you Ron, that when
> I've been to the Mosh Pit scene, I have to wonder just what is
> eating these folks.   Whatever t'is, it is a weird contrast.  The
> "sixties" (1962 to 1972), were a period of incredible creativity
> in music, and yet, a period of awful death and inhumanity at
> least, from the perspective of growing up on this side of the pond.
> Now, we have period of peace, mindbending prosperity, and some of
> the most depressed music I've ever heard.  Maybe it's the heroin,
> maybe it's the tube, maybe it's the boredom.  Frankly, since a
> lot of X'ers *(whatever ... didn't care for freak or hippie much
> myself),
> are here, it would be good to hear what you think.
>

> len

==========
OK, While we're onto culture, the blues, teen angst, etc. etc., consider
this little philosphical conundrum:

Many have commented that it almost seems to take great sufffering to
make great art. The blues is the fount of so much creativity, for
instance; and after all, when did you ever hear of a really cookin' rock
band from, say, Switzerland? No way! On the other hand, not everybody
who does great stuff is all messed up. Is Kate the exception that proves
the rule, or do we need to revise the rule? Other than having her mother
die (at least, thankfully, not when Kate was very young--and after all,
this is not an unusual sorrow, we have to say), I don't know what has
ever happened to Kate that is really very bad at all. Her life almost
seems the picture of tranquility, by all accounts. And yet she somehow
did not turn out as some spoiled rich kid. Maybe money doesn't explain
everything after all.)

-- Ron
http://www.intrex.net/rwgarr/