Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Scoring TRS

From: Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 14:47:37 -0700
Subject: Re: Scoring TRS
To: Stephen Strahan <stephen@iinet.net.au>
Cc: "Dongerous!" <fastslow@idt.net>, love-hounds@gryphon.com

At 9:19 AM -0700 7-30-97, Stephen Strahan wrote:
>Wow.. Im new to this group but have loved Kate for a long time.. altho
>somewhat intermittently I will admit :)  Whats so awful about The Red
>Shoes?? I think theres some great stuff on it. Ok I know I may be
>opening myself up for a rant based on someone elses favourites <grin>
>but its seems like a good and musically interesting album to me.

I agree on all points. If you had never heard Kate Bush, TRS would seem to
be pretty good. However, it pales compared to most of her earlier work. The
review posted here a few weeks back put it into proper perspective.

> I loved
>Kates first 3 albums (first two particularly..TKI is one of my all-time
>faves) and Hounds of Love is deeply cool too, like the Live ep and loved
>December Will Be Magic Again (such a cool Christmassy song) ..

All good stuff!

>not so
>fond of The Dreaming (particularly the title track which while
>instrumentally great just irritates cos its about the place where I live
>and doesnt get some things right.. its Aborigines - not Aboriginies,
>theyre 'roos if you must abbreviate..only infants might call them
>kanga's, and we dont call them motorways here.

Well, if she had toured Australia, it's possible she wouldn't have made
those mistakes. Nothing like getting out in the real world, is there?

FWIW, I really like The Dreaming (probably my third favorite after HoL and
TSW).

>Those are just personal
>peeves tho.. no doubt others love the song) and really dont know The
>Sensual World that well.  So.. what IS so wrong with TRS?<grin>

You should check out TSW. One listen of that would explain the
dissatisfaction many of us have with TRS.

>Dongerous! wrote:
>
>> At 2:46 PM -0700 7-19-97, Brian Haller wrote:
>> >Technical Merit....10
>> >Artistic Content....10
>>
>> Is this on a 1-100 scale?
>>
>> - Don

In case anyone didn't notice, I wasn't saying that I considered TRS to be a
10 on a 1-100 scale. However, it's ridiculous to give it a 10 in those
categories on a 1-10 scale, so I was just wondering what point Brian was
trying to make.

- Don