Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Other Artists; OK! I Give Up!

From: Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU (Ronald Girardin)
Date: 29 Jul 97 11:22:42 EDT
Subject: Re: Other Artists; OK! I Give Up!
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

--- Don wrote:
> For me, three come
>to mind right away:   Grateful Dead, Moody Blues and Amazing Blondel.  I LOVE
>those 3 bands.  I was fortunate enough to have seen 4 Dead shows before Jerry
>Garcia died and I consider myself very lucky.  It was fabulous.  I've yet to
>see The Moody Blues...but that's just a matter of time.

The Moody Blues? Hohohohohohohohoho. Hahahahahahaha. Hehehehehehehe.

Surely you jest. Haven't you ever watched the PBS special that they run
every pledge drive of the Moody Blues live (at Red Rocks, I think)? It is
hysterical. These guys indulge in endless unaware self-parody. They give
pretention a bad name.

>  As for the
>Amazing Blondel, I can only hope they'll tour America...

I don't know about them. However, I'd prefer KB tour first (note mandatory
KB content).

>These three band (as well as many others of that era) offer a quality in their
>music that I just can't find in the likes of Smashing Pumpkins, Cheryl Crow,
>Alanis Morrisette and Green Day.

I'm not a Sheryl Crow fan, but the Moody Blues are a joke compared to The
Smashing Pumpkins, AM and Green Day...that is if you care about music with
lyrics that actually MEANS something to the people making it. The Grateful
Dead wasn't a lyric-based band...they were an excuse to get high and jam.
The Moody Blues were just riding the progressive wave for all that it's
worth...talk about a bandwagon band. Have you ever heard "Go Now!"?

>   it seems that the newer bands just can't play
>their instruments....They bang them...but they can't "play".

How terrible. They don't let some people's need for musical self-abuse get
in the way of them expressing themselves. Gee whiz, that Bob Dylan guy
sucks. He doesn't play the guitar, he just bangs away.
--- end of quote ---
Don,

Obviously, you don't know the whole Moody Blues Catalog.   I'll admit that
their last few outting are not up to par with their other stuff.    But thier
first 7 albums (with Justin Hayward and John Lodge not the Denny Laine era)
are beautiful.    one of these days, a song like Watching And Waiting or
Lost World or Melancholy Man  will hit you right between the eyes and you'll
drop to your knees banging your head on the floor saying to yourself  "So
that's
what it's all about...!".   Don, you're not listening.

And how can you say such a thing about Bob Dylan????   I won't even dignify
you remark with an intelligent reply.

peace

ron