Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Stuff

From: Lane Stephenson <lane5@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 11:17:47 -0500
Subject: Stuff
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

First:  (Assuming that this will post on Wednesday, and just in case
Kate scans for birthday messages) Happiest of birthdays Kate.  Mere
words cannot express the pleasure that your music has brought to me
these 18 1/2 years.  You have touched me more than any single artist.

Second:  Congratulations on your new job IED.  You will find Oklahoma a
bit different from what you are used to, but you are only 4 short hours
from Dallas, and we have some pretty cool things here.  Maybe we need to
start thinking about a 1998 Katemas celebration in this part of the
universe.

Finally:  What is with this "New music sucks/Old Music sucks" thread?
Judging from all the recent age/favorite artists polls, we are a pretty
diverse group brought together by a love for a very special musician
that has been influenced by a WIDE range of musical stylings.  I've been
an avid music lover since I was 7 when I got a Beatles album for my
birthday, and have greatly enjoyed many artists in their time.  Although
I tend to prefer whatever music is current as opposed to re-listening to
older stuff (with one obvious exception), I've learned that most people
who are passionate about a particular song, band or musical time period
generally equate that music with an important time in their own life.  I
cannot share the same passion since I didn't share the same experiences.

I think my love for Kate stems from those many years of thinking that I
belonged to a secret society of one.  The thrill of stumbling across a
new Kate Bush single or coming across an article in Melody Maker or NME
(luckily I lived near a good record store) is something that most
subscribers to the Grateful Dead or Marilyn Manson mailing lists would
never understand.  In 20 years, someone will be posting praises to the
music of Spice Girls who happened to be popular when they had their
first boyfriend/girlfriend.  Granted, I won't be writing to agree with
them, but I also won't tell them that they are wrong either.  I will
just put on the latest from the newest band that I like, or maybe I will
re-listen to Hounds of Love, and smile.

--
"Now is the place where the crossroads meet.
Will you look into the future?" - KT