Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A Flea In Her Ear?

From: vampyre@sg.tarheel.net (Vampyre)
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 00:55:46 EST (-0500)
Subject: A Flea In Her Ear?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Re: A Flea In Her Ear?

> > Babooshka has always been one of my favorite Kate songs...I even managed to
> > have it be the first song played during intermission while our stage group
> > was performing Guy de Maupassant's "A Flea in Her Ear"....
> > vampyre@tarheel.net

> Wow...is it possible Kate was inspired by "A Flea In Her Ear?"
> for Babooshka? We know that she's taken inspiration from movies
> before, so why not a play?

I am sure this was the inspiration....although I have never heard Kate say
so per se...

> It all fits -- from the "pseudonym to fool him" and the "scented
> letters" to "arranging a place to go."

Yep....and when Chandebise receives the letters he is talking with his friend
Tournel <my part in the play>...they determine that the lady must have seen
them at the theatre and that she mistook Tournel for Chandebise.
Thus, Tournel is given the letters and runs off to the Hotel Coc d'Or
where he meets Chandebise's wife! To add to the utter pandemonium, the porter
at the Hotel <Poche> is an utter drunk and the spitting image of Raymonde's
husband. From here, chaos ensues....absolutely a great play...I had so much
fun doing this one!

> My favorite line in the play comes when Mme Chandebise, who
> wants to see if her husband "will fall for her incognito" rents
> a seedy hotel room to catch him:
> Mme Chandebise: Oh, we won't be needing the bed.
> Hotel clerk: Pervert.
> Excuse my paraphrasing (and spelling),

hahahahah....another similarly funny play <if you're into that sort of
thing...which it appears you are> is "Marriage A La Mode"...similarly
<sorta> bawdy...lots of plays on words and pandemonium...
well worth a read if you get a chance.

vampyre@tarheel.net