Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Ninth Wave

From: "Lee A. Blankenship" <lab4@dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 22:52:04 -0700
Subject: Re: Ninth Wave
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Karen Newcombe wrote:

> >"Our tracking data, NAV data, and pre-planned trajectory are all
> >one..(garbled):"
> >KT: Hello Earth...
> >       BGV: "Malfunction."
> >KT: Hello Earth,
> >       BGV: "Malfunction"
> >

> What you're hearing as "malfunction" is actually a man's voice saying
> "hello earth" just after Kate sings it -- try listening on headphones.
>
> Karen

I bought a pair of earbugs and did as you suggested.
I still cannot make out 'hello earth' repeated out of the sounds in
that area. It still sounds exactly like 'malfunction' to me, even when
I am listening for a different set of phonemes.

It's timbre and echo sound (to me) exactly like a ssb voice
transmission, with all the attendant reedyness and metallic echoing.

The "AL" sound is quite distinct, as the "F(U)NG" and the "SH" ending
with a heavy "NN" .  I have tried and tried, but I have not been able to
discern any "RTH"  sound at all. Perhaps I should try something with my
equalizer?

Any suggestions?

I am afraid I may be a victim of "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy"
syndrome, or "There's a bathroom on the right" (there's a bad moon on
the rise). I may never be able to hear the sound right.

Lee