Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Stan Ridgeway

From: cynder@prairienet.org (Theo O'Neal)
Date: 21 Jul 1997 08:11:38 GMT
Subject: Re: Stan Ridgeway
To: moderators!rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Jon Haverman (haves@en.com) wrote:
: >> The post said, in essence, that Stan and Kate, for all their
: >> differences, have certain things in common--especially, writing very
: >> "personal" (and creative) music.
:
: Tori Amos sings background vocals on Stan Ridgway's "Mosquitos" LP!!!

Yeah, I think songs, specifically, are "Dogs", "Peg and Pete and Me" and "The
Last Honest Man".  I noticed this about three months ago, just rereading the
liner notes.  It was one of the first tapes I ever bought (back in '89), and
I like to do this every once in a while to see if anyone minor has become
famous in the time I've owned the album.  Lo and behold, there she was!

As far as Kate and Stan being similar...kinda.  They cross at a few points.
"The Wedding List" or "Babooshka" could be a Stan song if they were just a
*little* bit darker.  But something like "A Mission in Life" or "Right Through
You" could almost be Kate if they were a *tad* softer.  They both tell
stories of things that are a hair away from reality, but they go in different
directions with it.

Viel Gluck!					Theo...