Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: A couple (not!) of quick notes...

From: meredith <meth@smoe.org>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 11:31:33 -0400
Subject: RE: A couple (not!) of quick notes...
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hi!

Chris Hansen posted:

>4 - Has anyone heard/heard of a group titled 'the Corrs'?  I picked
>it up on a whim, like it a whole bunch, and while it doesn't sound
>like Kate (blasphemy!) does anyone here have an opinion on the group?

Yeah -- I think they're horrid.  But that's just my opinion. :)

>5 - (Last one I promise!) On the same thought process as the last
>note, how about 'The Story' or 'Johnatha Brook and The Story'?  Great
>stuff, IMNSHO, but I'd like some validation/humiliation there as
>well...

The Story's two albums with Jennifer Kimball as part of the duo are
wonderful (especially _Grace In Gravity_, whose title track brings me to
tears every time).  I just couldn't get into _Plumb_, maybe because I'm
biased since the last time I saw The Story was right before Jennifer left,
and I thought they should've left that damn band at home.  The harmonies
just aren't the same without Jennifer, even though Jonatha Brooke does have
an amazing voice.  (Note to Americans: There's a new set of Goodyear tire
commercials that's been getting a lot of airplay during sports events and
the like, and the silly jingle (something about "freedom", with a fanfare
of "Goodyear!" at the end) is sung by none other than Jonatha Brooke, who
must be more strapped for cash than I'd thought.  Just thought I'd drop
that little factoid into the mix. :)

While I'm here, the other women who most often grace my CD player are, in
no particular order:

Veda Hille
Emily Bezar
Susan McKeown
Ani DiFranco
Laura Love
Jane Siberry
Sarah McLachlan
Tori Amos
Happy Rhodes
Dar Williams
Joni Mitchell
The Nields (fronted by sisters Katryna and Nerissa)
10,000 Maniacs (with and without Natalie)

... and tons of others (listed at <http://www.smoe.org/meth/deities.html>,
if anyone cares).  I'd be happy to give more info on any of these
(especially the first 3, since they're relatively obscure but no less
brilliant artists) if anyone wants.

Very few men get airplay in my life, but those that do include Roy Harper,
Richard Shindell (who Really Is if Kate ever drops off the face of the
earth), Robyn Hitchcock, David Sylvian, and Robert Fripp.  Hmmm... lots of
"r" names there.  Never noticed that before. :)

| Meredith Tarr                                              meth@smoe.org |
| Boonton, NJ USA                                http://www.smoe.org/~meth |
|                 "Marmots will stick to you in Delaware."                 |
|                  - The Surrealist Compliment Generator                   |