Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New HOL in Amherst MA!

From: Steve Borden <sborden@netway1.mdc.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 23:45:53 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: New HOL in Amherst MA!
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
cc: leshein@student.umass.edu

Louisa Ellen Shein <leshein@student.umass.edu> wrote:

>I've been lurking for a while (years actually) and have lots to say
>about everything (Kate related), but for now I'll just share my really
>exciting news!  I found the new EMI centenary HOL release at Newberry
>Comics out here in Amherst MA!  I think it was the only copy they had,
>but perhaps other Newberry Comics have them.

They do!  I found a copy today at the Newbury Comics in Burlington, MA.  :)

>I always find these things hard to compare, but the re-release sounds
>great to me, really clear, separate moments and voices emerging in ways
>that just make it even more powerful, if that's possible.

Yeah, there are definite sonic differences.  The bass has a lot more punch
(maybe even a little too much at times), the instruments are more clearly
defined and some details are more noticeable.  Background hiss, especially
on the bonus tracks, is greatly reduced.  Kate's vocals did seem a bit
harsh at times though.

>I listened to it straight through (of course) and it was the closest
>thing to listening to it for the first time that I'll probably ever
>experience (since the first time, three years ago...

Same experience here, except it was probably closer to seven years
ago for me.

>I was a late bloomer, but actually a young one since I'm only twenty one.:)

And I thought I was a young one around here!  (I'm 27.)  Any other Kate
fans out there in this age bracket?

== Steve Borden
   sborden@netway1.mdc.net