Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Woman of Ireland

From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 06:10:05 -0500
Subject: Woman of Ireland
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

>Ariusz Nowak <ariusz@tk.net.pl>
>I just listen to the kind of "The Best" album by Mike Oldfield and payed
>attention for the track called "Woman Of Ireland". It's the same melody as
>the song "Mna Na Eirehann" (sorry if I mispelled) singing by Kate.
>I think it would be no surprise 'cause Mike Oldfield is interested in
>Irish music. What surprised me is that according to inlay tha track is written
>by Mike Odfield and I always thought it is traditional tune.

I have it here on a WORM one of the IrishSpace team made for me
while I was in Tralee.  It is the melody composed by Sean 0'Riada
for an older poem, Mna haEireann, The Woman of Ireland.
Both composers are known.  I do not know
if O'Riada used a traditional melody for the piece, but he
is credited as the composer.  I was told in Kerry that the
Oldfield version has become a popular dance number in Ireland.
We recorded two versions of the melody with our own arrangements
as backgrounds for IrishSpace narrations.  We credit
O'Riada as the composer.  One can hear these if they go to
the Ashe Memorial Hall in Tralee, County Kerry and visit
the International Space Exhbition there, or wait some
months until Netscape finalizes the new version of Live3D and
the CDROM is released for sale.

Len Bullard
GroundLevelSound