Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: there goes a tenner lyrical question

From: Sav <MDA95SI@sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 16:36:20 +0100
Subject: Re: there goes a tenner lyrical question
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

> *there goes a tenner, there goes a fiver, remember them, that's when
> we used to vote for him (dun-duh-duh)*
>
> however, the other day it suddenly occurred to me that britain changed
> to decimal currency sometime (in the 70s?)

True....we went decimal in the early 70's (72 i think) and we still
use the terms "tenners" and "fivers".....the one we don't use anymore
(which was roughly the size of a bedsheet) was the "ten shilling
note"  which you missedfrom your quote......they went out of circulation
in the 60's some time.....maybe earlier......I wasn't around, anyway
:-)
 Love Will.....xx
"We are a dangerous species; the only species
we know of that is in imminent danger of it
own survival."      RD Laing