Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: 9th Wave

From: Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 10:07:40 -0800
Subject: Re: 9th Wave
To: pdc@acorn.net (pDaleCampbell)
Cc: Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>, love-hounds@gryphon.com

At 5:53 AM -0800 6-5-97, pDaleCampbell wrote:
<>snip>

>Then...
>On Wed, 4 Jun 1997 13:42:46 -0400 (EDT), Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>
>wrote:
>> At 4:14 PM -0000 6-4-97, stephanie bush wrote:
>> >but I would be _really_ curious as to why you don't like it.
>>
>> I went back and listened to it yet again after posting...just to make sure.
>> And, yes, I can say quite confidently that I find "The Ninth Wave" to be
>> the biggest load of pretentious nonsense since "Tales of Topographic
>> Oceans" by Yes. I feel like someone is forcing me to listen to the audio
>> portion of a bad art movie without at least letting me be distracted by the
>> visuals. Obtuse dialogue and obscure production may impress the
>> impressionable, but I find it to be hopelessly self-indulgent.
>
>I don't know what's going on here, but at least you're consistent.
>You don't like what I consider the masterpieces of my favorite female
>artist and group!

That's okay. You probably don't think Iggy Pop's "Raw Power" was one of the
pinnacles of art in Western Civilization.

>> Contrast this with the wonderfully well-realized combination of songwriting
>> craft, production and performance in the five songs in "Hounds of Love"
>> sequence.
>
>The worst problem with the HoL side is that, on an admittedly outstanding
>day, more than one of today's "popular" artists could have produced similar
>work.

Similar quality work? Yes. Similar work? No.

>TNW, however, is uniquely a product of the gift of genius that is Kate.

I'll agree with that. With the gift of genius, there are undeniable
liabilities.

>> > It pretty effectively encapsulates _everything_ I like about KB's
>> >music - it's simply a beautifully, beautifully realized work of art.
>    (Amen!)
>>
>> Okay. I think TNW allows KB's worst tendencies for pretension run wild for
>> far too long.
>
>Have you watched _The_Line,_the_Cross_and_the_Curve_?  (Now there *I*
>go! At least you won't be hanging alone.)

Thanks.

>> > I would cautiously
>> >propose that it is one of those things that transcends such oppositions as
>> >good/bad;  i.e. you may not _like_ it, but you still recognize its merit,
>> >correct?
>>
>> Sorry, but I don't recognize its merit. I think TNW is something we're
>> supposed to be kind about, right?
>
>No.
>This group uniformly (until now :) recognizes the genius of TNW.
>(Actually, since I don't know how you feel about using smileys,
>I would guess you are joking here.)

I would guess that some people on the list are afraid to express an
unpopular opinion.

>> > just wondering - I hate to just _assume_ that you are a pod
>> >person!
>>
>> Actually, I'm a singles person. I think KB's best work is when she makes
>> herself accessible in the more structured environment than the
>> less-disciplined album setting.
>
>One more thing... How did you like Pink Floyd's _The_Wall_?

I haven't thought much about Pink Floyd since Syd Barrett was kicked out.

>And then...
>On Wed, 4 Jun 1997 17:49:52 -0400 (EDT), Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>
>wrote:
>> At 8:06 PM -0000 6-4-97, stephanie bush wrote:
>> >i could argue that the 'hounds of love' side has a thematic quality to it
>> >also,
>>
>> It would most likely be an unsuccessful argument, however.
>
>Yet it is long-standing doctrine in this group.

Okay. You string the videos for "HoL," "Cloudbusting," "The Big Sky" and
"RUTH" together and tell me that there's a thematic quality. If you can
make that stretch, you must be the Rubberband Guy. They're just five songs
that didn't fit into "TNW" fiasco.

>Let me close by saying I don't see how someone can consider Kate a
>uniquely gifted artist (and I haven't seen Don make that claim) and
>not appreciate TNW.

She's obviously a uniquely gifted artist. For me, TNW encapsulates the
aspects of her music I find most troubling. You're free to revel in her
self-indulgence. I like it better when she reaches out.

>But then, I like much a what Tori Amos has done, until BfP.

Oh. I think TA is horrible.

Quick, completely true story: My wife comes home one day. She says, "I
heard this song on the radio. I think it was Kate Bush, but it wasn't very
good. Does she do a song called 'Cornflake Girl'?"

- Don