Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: the 9th wave

From: Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 17:49:52 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: the 9th wave
To: stephanie bush <sbush@mail.utexas.edu>
Cc: love-hounds@gryphon.com, Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>

At 8:06 PM -0000 6-4-97, stephanie bush wrote:

>i could argue that the 'hounds of love' side has a thematic quality to it
>also,

It would most likely be an unsuccessful argument, however.

>although this theme is based more on emotions (love, fear, loss) than
>a '9th wave'-style narrative. certainly 'hounds of love' contains
>spectacular pop songs & craftswomanship - the '9th wave' is something other
>than this:  to malign it as 'pretentious', 'self-indulgent' in comparison
>to 'hol' is to hold it to the standards of a genre to which it does not
>belong.

Well, if it meets its self-defining standards, then I guess there's nothing
to complain about...other than the fact that I don't like it.  :-)

>thanks don, for posting your elaborations to your original message. anyone
>else out there more partial to Kate's 'popcraft'?  i think i enjoy both:
>'sat in your lap' is my favorite KB tune by a mile - it's certainly a
>catchy little gem.

"SIYL" is my favorite, too, so we do agree on something.  :-)

I just pulled out my "Kate Bush - The Singles File" (the Japanese version
that I paid $80 for back in '83) to watch the SIYL video. It's one of my
favorites of KB's, those most of them are outstanding. I think my favorite
might be "The Big Sky". Anyone else?

- Don