Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The eternal Kate-Tori debate

From: Spbarker@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 16:40:52 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: The eternal Kate-Tori debate
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

>...  So what we have are Kate (with the Red Shoes) a cohesive album that
>works as an entire entitiy, I mean, look...she made a concept film using 6
>of the songs and they all worked together to tell a story, yet each one
>stood alone...

To me the film (TLTC&TC) looks like it was strung together rather hastily
from 6 unrelated songs, held together with contrived links of the kind that
wouldn't look out of place in a TV magazine show. For example, just
before Moments of Pleasure, the ghost figure (Lindsay Kemp?) says
with no context whatsoever "It's really happening to ya.  Call upon those
you love".  This throwway line seems to have no relevance to the plot, but
serves as an excuse to introduce the song.

Personally, I think the songs would have been much better served by
separate videos (and Kate has done some pretty good videos in her time,
take Cloutbusting and Experiment IV).

Simon