Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

female singers, turns into bottom 5 rant... sorry

From: "Donna Henderson" <donna@math.uconn.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 09:06:13 +0000
Subject: female singers, turns into bottom 5 rant... sorry
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <donna@tatung.math.uconn.edu>

> At 5:34 AM -0000 6-4-97, Steffi wrote:
> >Suggestion: If you really need another divine music making girl, try
> What other female singer/songwriters (lyricist a/o composer) tend to
> inhabit your CD player (note: they don't have to be anything like KB)?
>
> Mine (in no particular order)...
>
> Kim Shattuck of the Muffs
> Siouxsie Sioux of Siouxsie & the Banshees
> Juliana Hatfield (formerly of Blake Babies)
> Exene Cervenka (of X, and solo)
> Kirsty MacColl
> Linda Hopper (of Magnapop)
> Kristi Callan (of Lucky)
> Justine Frischmann and Donna Matthews (of Elastica)
> Tonya Donelly (formerly of Belly)
>
> - Don

Ok, I'm at work, and am doing this from memory.  My spelling of names
is AWFUL!!!  Please forgive.

Loreena McKinet (I have the WORST time spelling her name!)
Enya
Marianne Faithful
Bel Canto
Shona Lang
Beautiful South
anne lennox
Bette Midler
Marilyn Monroe
Kristy MacColl
Sarah Mclaughin
Happy Rhodes (OF COURSE, how could I forget!!)
Patti Smith
P.J. Harvey
(and even though I hate to admit it, because this list spends WAY TOO
MUCH TIME discussing her, and she just aint worth it!) tori amos.

there must be more....

And on the top 5 KT ickies:

I LOVE ALL THESE SONGS THAT HAVE BEEN LISTED SO FAR!  This is so
disappointing.  How could you not like Baboshka? Hammer Horror?  Am
I the only one who has suffered the loss of a lover to the point were
this song touches my soul and makes me shiver? "The first time in my
life, I leave the lights on to ease my soul"  (BTW, andrew, the Live
at Hammersmith video has a performance that sounds like the one you
describe)   Them Heavy People, sound like it was written by a 16 year
old?  My god.  Do you even KNOW what the she's singing about?  or
the Ninth wave.  THE WHOLE NINTH WAVE?!?!?! I thought you people
were fans!!  Fans are supposed to be FANATICAL

Good grief.

d~
"I don't know why I give in, but I do every time.
And here I am wondering why I did it again.
Too-ree-ay, too-ree-o, too-ree-ay, too-ree-o, too-ree-ay's what I say
     To keep me going, To keep the shit away."  Kate Bush