Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Infant Kiss

From: chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 10:13:04 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Infant Kiss
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

From: Raven Tompkins
Namaka wrote:

> Excuse me if I am missing the obvious: What is Breathing,
> and The Infant Kiss really about.  I know there are obvious
> lyrics in the song, but i wondered if there are any deeper meanings
> that I am not getting.

    Breathing is told from the point of view of a un-born child in it's
mother's womb, afraid of coming out into a post-nuclear world.

    The Infant Kiss is from the film The Innocents, based on Henry James'
The Turn Of The Screw. In the film, a governess is caring for two
children.
She begins the believe that the spirits of the previous governess, who
comitted suicide, and the gameskeeper are inhabiting the bodies of the
two children. The song is based on the moment in the film where the
little boy asks the governess for a goodnight kiss. She expects a
normal kiss-boy kiss, be he kisses her full on the mouth like
a grown man, arousing passion in her.

    My video for this song can be found at the end of the Love-Hounds
Collection.