Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

FW: Infant Kiss

From: Mike Wade <mwade@oxfam.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 11:57:00 +0100
Subject: FW: Infant Kiss
To: "'Love Hounds'" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

Re Alan Chamberlain's quote on The Infant Kiss: -  if anyone wants to
look further into the source for the song, it is based on a 50s b/w film
called The Innocents, which in turn is based on a Henry James novel "The
Turn of the Screw".  The strength of these is that you are never certain
whether the nanny is losing her mental balance and is reacting sexually
to the children in her care, or whether they are inhabited by the
spirits of two servants who had worked in the house, and she is
responding to a sexual challenge from the spirits, communicated through
the children. Bit of a head-fuck.

If anyone ever heard the two x one hour long "my favourite records" that
Kate did on Radio One in the uk back in 1980 or thereabouts, she
included incidental music from the film as one of her favourite tracks.
"We sleep, my love and I, Beneath the weeping willow, But now my love
must fly(?), Oh willow I die" .  It was also thanks to Kate's
recommendations in these programmes that I got into Allegri's Miserere
and Roy Harper, amongst other new bits of music. Thanks Kate!

Love to all,
	Mike

PS - anyone going to Womad in Reading, UK this year?