Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Unidentified subject!

From: Horace One-Eye <cerebus@mega.megamed.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 08:33:33 -0800
Subject: Unidentified subject!
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 08:58:19 -0800 (PST)
X-From_: love-hounds-request@uunet.uu.net  Wed Mar 26 08:58:17 1997
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: ttuerff@primenet.com (Tom Tuerff)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: A FAN'S disappointment...

In article <3337C683.62DB@mail.sdsu.edu>, clarkson@mail.sdsu.edu (Grant
Clarkson) wrote:

>         Kate is still young I think, but didn't anyone else get the scarry
> feeling from the Red Shoes that it just might be her last? That was
> almost four years ago. You figure if even she is working in her home
> studio now, we probably can't expect a release for at least another year
> or year and a half. I too feel a little disappointment that there is not
> at least some gesture that tells us 'I'm alright' and that 'that little
> light is still alive'. KB fans are probably the nicest, most thoughtful,
> and devoted music fans any musician could ever want. Why does that not
> inspire her to KreaTe and Commune I Kate lately? (it's pretty sad to put
> it that way, isn it?) All the love you should have given. . . We are
> them heavy people; what happened to her soft spot?

How long have you been a Kate fan? The wait is part of the territory,
Bucko. I would rather she took TEN years and gave us something incredible,
rather than take two and give us drivel. (Look at Lionheart. Don't listen
to it,just look at it. But there's my point.)

>         This sentiment has struck me due to a few things recently - The EMI
> reissues of HOL and the new vinyl of TKI are good news items, but wait a
> minute - we are being propelled by still discussing old stuff while the
> real source of this Merchandise is Hiding(!)

She's set for life. She's never impressed anyone as being an incredibly
hard worker. Get over it! This post reminds me of when Jann Wenner wrote
an open letter to John Lennon in the mid-70's, wondering why he wasn't
making music anymore. He eventually did, of course, although "Double
Fantasy" was certainly no "Imagine."

>Don't get me wrong, HOL is the best record of the 80's,

Absolutely right, with the possible exception of "Hand of Kindness" by
Richard Thompson. Go buy it.

>but KT should be just as strong in this decade.

Uhh, wait a minute. Nobody can be expected to produce more than one
masterpiece in their life. It's nice when they do, but don't stay up late
waiting.

> Who would have thought listening to those earlier records that
> Kate could EVER even SEEM like another jaded rock recluse, ahem, as she
> has been seeming like since The Line The Cross The Curve, if not before.

Consider--if you made your pile before you were 40 and you didn't have to
worry about money, wouldn't you spend a lot of time pursuing other
interests?

>         The other thing that made me wonder this way is my recent discovery
> that in 90 after TSW she announced that she had a new album comming
> later that year, and that she was going to tour(!)

Wrong. She said she was considering it, which is Katish for "NO!" Of
course, if there was ever an album that needed a tour to sell albums, it
was TSW--not one of my faves, fer sure.

> Not that I expect her to tour, because singing a whole concert
> of her songs spanning all those years I would figure to be extremely
> difficult,

The Stones do it all the time, and they have at least 15 years on Kate.
Bill Wyman (retired) was 22 when Kate was born. And I'm sure that if she
toured, she'd borrow a thing or two about staging from Mick and Keef.

> I for one don't want to see too much of that
> rock-cliche dehumanization or English resignation - too much black
> clothes, silence, cigarettes, and 'no comments'; why not give a little,
> listen and share like a human being?

I hate to break this to you, but she's always been like this. Again I ask,
how long have you been a Kate fan?

A friend of mine once wrote a fantasy story that made passing reference to
a plant called a keyt bush. It blossomed every four to six years for a
short time, then went totally dormant. That's just the way it is! Quit
worrying about it. Seek out other forms of life and wait till she blooms
again.

TT