Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: A FAN'S disappointment...

From: Grant Clarkson <clarkson@mail.sdsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 11:04:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: A FAN'S disappointment...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I've been wanting to address this concern for as long as I've been
subscribing to LH, which has been only recently. I have wondered why
there hasn't been more concern about WHAT IS UP with KT at this
juncture. Taking a long time to make an album is one thing, withdrawing
from the world of music and her fans is another, especially without any
indication of What Is Up.

	Kate is still young I think, but didn't anyone else get the scarry
feeling from the Red Shoes that it just might be her last? That was
almost four years ago. You figure if even she is working in her home
studio now, we probably can't expect a release for at least another year
or year and a half. I too feel a little disappointment that there is not
at least some gesture that tells us 'I'm alright' and that 'that little
light is still alive'. KB fans are probably the nicest, most thoughtful,
and devoted music fans any musician could ever want. Why does that not
inspire her to KreaTe and Commune I Kate lately? (it's pretty sad to put
it that way, isn it?) All the love you should have given. . . We are
them heavy people; what happened to her soft spot?

	This sentiment has struck me due to a few things recently - The EMI
reissues of HOL and the new vinyl of TKI are good news items, but wait a
minute - we are being propelled by still discussing old stuff while the
real source of this Merchandise is Hiding(!) Don't get me wrong, HOL is
the best record of the 80's, but KT should be just as strong in this
decade. Who would have thought listening to those earlier records that
Kate could EVER even SEEM like another jaded rock recluse, ahem, as she
has been seeming like since The Line The Cross The Curve, if not before.

	The other thing that made me wonder this way is my recent discovery
that in 90 after TSW she announced that she had a new album comming
later that year, and that she was going to tour(!) Well, as we all know
that new album came in 93 and to date is the only one since  TSW, and
touring never materialized, nor did any explanation of why not when she
said so. Not that I expect her to tour, because singing a whole concert
of her songs spanning all those years I would figure to be extremely
difficult, but the point is we've all listened very closely to the music
and we suspect there is someone very powerful, observant, and capable in
there, and we like it! I for one don't want to see too much of that
rock-cliche dehumanization or English resignation - too much black
clothes, silence, cigarettes, and 'no comments'; why not give a little,
listen and share like a human being? Kate, you are fortunate to have a
real audience, you know, so do something nice so we can stop worrying
about you.

	What do the lovehounds think? Has something over the years changed KT's
personal and creative energy (possibly exactly this type of public
scrutiny)? Has she changed from a soul rebel to a diva recluse? And at
this point, how can we even tell? Love to hear from you.

xoxo GBC