Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Under the heading of "This may not be news to anyone.."

From: nightwol@dircon.co.uk (Steve Fagg)
Date: 5 Mar 1997 12:24:50 -0000
Subject: Re: Under the heading of "This may not be news to anyone.."
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <5fflgu$k01@ionews.ionet.net>, heff <heffison@ionet.net> wrote:
>In article <331B44EF.26AF@nation.nationgroup.com>,
>bigz@nation.nationgroup.com says...
>> I just found
>>out that the 12" vinyl single of Running Up That Hill is one of pop's
>>rare instances of a three-sided record -- that is, there is a double
>>groove on one side which plays different versions. At least it was in
>>the UK -- my Australian copy doesn't have it.
>
>     I don't understand...how can it play different versions?  Play at a
>different speed?

The usual way this was achieved with vinyl records was to have two
parallel grooves on one side.  Depending on where in the outer
circumference the stylus descends it lands in one groove or the other
so that either may be followed on any given playing.  The musical
content of the two grooves could be quite independent.  One of several
neat effects (such as infinitely repeating run-out grooves) that could
be achieved with vinyl that are impossible (AFAIK) on CD, or even on
cassette come to that.

HTH
TTFN
Steve