Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Under the heading of "This may not be news to anyone.."

From: nevilley@globalnet.co.uk (Neville Young)
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 16:10:33 GMT
Subject: Re: Under the heading of "This may not be news to anyone.."
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

heffison@ionet.net (heff) wrote:

>> I just found
>>out that the 12" vinyl single of Running Up That Hill is one of pop's
>>rare instances of a three-sided record -- that is, there is a double
>>groove on one side which plays different versions.
>
>     I don't understand...how can it play different versions?  Play at a
>different speed?

I can't comment on that particular instance, but I do know that one of
the Monty Python records did this. One side has two grooves, running
not-quite-in-parallel. The two grooves are completely independent of
each other. It is a matter of luck which you get when you start
playing the side, as you can't *see* where it will start. Hope this
clarifies it a bit!

Neville Young
nevilley@globalnet.co.uk