Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Under the heading of "This may not be news to anyone.."

From: Bob Haberkost <Bob-RavenswoodEngrg@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 23:19:18 -0500
Subject: Re: Under the heading of "This may not be news to anyone.."
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

heff wrote:

> In article <331B44EF.26AF@nation.nationgroup.com>,
> bigz@nation.nationgroup.com says...
> >
> >Johanna Shafer wrote:
> >>

> > I just found
> >out that the 12" vinyl single of Running Up That Hill is one of pop's
> >rare instances of a three-sided record -- that is, there is a double
> >groove on one side which plays different versions.

>      I don't understand...how can it play different versions?  Play at a
> different speed?

I'm not familiar with the disk mentioned, but I've seen such an animal
in a Monty Python release years ago.  It, too, was a three-side that a
friend had boought unknowingly, and as luck would have it, EVERY time he
played it (at least six times by the time I'd seen it) it only played
one of the two cuts on the disk.  He was annoyed that the one side was
so short (since the disk's maximum recording time was split between the
two cuts), but when I told him about what I had heard about the disk --
or maybe it was some liner note, I don't quite recall -- we went looking
for it, when we both heard material for the first time.

The way it's done is by "interleaving" two grooves side-by-side, sort of
like a two-threaded screw.  Therefore, for each turn of the disk, the
styus "moves" two grooves.  It then depends when the styus hits the
disk, since the beginning of each groove is on opposite sides of the
platter, diametrically opposed, that is.

I'd appreciate knowing how the two Sensual World co-sides are different.