Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Trouser Press

From: "Michael R. Abram" <70604.3311@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 25 Feb 97 12:10:23 EST
Subject: Trouser Press
To: Love-Hounds <Love-Hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Message text written by Stev0
>Those of us who remember the greatest music magazine of
>all time, Trouser Press, will be glad to know they finally
>have a web site, done only a decade or so after they printed
>their last issue.
>Here's what they say about Kate:
<snip>
 >not really enjoyable.

Wayne said
> Overextended? Impressive to say the least. But not really enjoyable? I think
most of us here would agree to disagree with this. Someone wasn't listening.<

Ira Robbins has been a friend of mine since our college days in the early '70s,
when he started publishing Trouser Press.  Without fear of contradiction, I will
state that he IS the world's authority on The Who.  I plan to attend his
book-signing tonight in the East Village.  (See www.trouserpress.com for
details.)

Ira has always had very strong views on music, and IMO a streak of impatience,
which may not be conducive to giving Kate's deeper works a fair chance.  It's
understandable, since critics have to deal with a constant huge volume of new
recordings.  I know that it has taken me many listens to appreciate her middle
(pre-HoL) period, although I find Hounds very accessible and don't agree with
his characterization at all -- in fact it's my favorite.  Chacun a son gout,
ness pah?<g>

Michael Abram
Chief Engineer
Brooklyn Telephone Theater

"Art is whatever you can get away with" -- McLuhan (a great Canadian)
"Kiss you so hard I'll take your breath away" -- McLachlan (a great Canadian)
"So I blew the bouncer and we all got in free" -- McBimbo (a BTT production)