Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KB lookalike in Soundmix show

From: Rolf.Peukert@Theoinf.TU-Ilmenau.DE (Rolf Peukert)
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 97 08:35:51 +0100
Subject: KB lookalike in Soundmix show
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hi Lovehounds!

I wouldn't have watched this show if I hadn't seen a familiar name in the
description in the TV guide:
The Soundmix Show, Feb. 1st, german commercial TV station RTL

AFAIK this show, like the swedish one Anders posted about last year, is part
of a Europe-wide contest of talented "ordinary" people performing the hits
of their idols. I'm not sure if looks or singing counts more.

Anyway, last Saturday one of their candidates (a 38-year old music agent
named Marion) did her version of Wuthering Heights. She was performing in
a white dress, barefeet, but with a handheld microphone. The stage setting
was certainly Keef-inspired: long flowing white curtains and fog.

Her performance was quite good IMHO, her voice a bit closer to the original
than Pat Benatar or Andre Matos (of Angra). Minor flaws in the lyrics probably
went unnoticed by most of the listeners. Jury member Kai Havaii (of 'new german
wave' band "Extrabreit") praised Marion's angelic voice afterwards.
Host Linda De Mol mentioned that she's kissed the first time when that song
played, in a ghost train.

I made a web page with three screengrabs and an MPEG audio file of the first
70 seconds (not the best quality because I wanted it to fit on one disk):
http://maui.theoinf.tu-ilmenau.de/~peukert/music/soundmix.html

The Tina Turner double won (who didn't look much like Tina either).
Reportedly the show had 3.7 million viewers.

ciao,
Rolf

---
"Would also fit a washing-powder commercial"
   Kai Havaii mocking at the stage decoration