Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Left hand drive

From: "Tom Ford" <tomivd@spimageworks.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 12:10:43 -0800
Subject: Re: Left hand drive
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

> Just a thought about the left-hand drive on the car
> in Kate Bush's "This Woman's Work" video:
> ...it doesn't seem unreasonable
> to hyphothesize that the left-hand drive in "TWW" was
> another deliberate reference to place.

Could be, but that seems like a stretch to me.

Kate directed said video and it seems obvious to me that the left-handed drive
car was her artistic choice as a film-maker.  The car is part of a single uncut
shot that tracks right to left.

Over the course of this shot:

	[1] Kate doubles over in pain at the dinner table

	[2] She is carried by the actor to the right and
	    put in the right-hand passenger seat of the car.

	[3] The actor gets in the left-hand driver's seat.

	[4] As the actor gets out of the car, Kate is already
	    on a stretcher being carried away to the right

A right-hand drive car would have made the smooth left-to-right motion of this
shot impossible.

SIDE NOTE: The way characters in this shot move out of one side of the frame
and re-enter almost instantly from the opposite side of the frame seems to be
an homage to Carl Theodore Dreyer's surreal, almost silent VAMPYR.

Perhaps Kate's an admirer of his work?

speculatively,

Tom

           "Gak gak gak gak-gak-gak gak-gak.
              Gak, gak gak--gak gak GAK!"
				-The Martian Ambassador

tom ford		                     inferno ta
310/840-8095		       sony pictures imageworks