Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Brazil ST

From: chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 96 23:37:10 GMT
Subject: Re: Brazil ST
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <56bh6g$in1@wnnews1.netlink.net.nz>,
>Philip Sainty <ectophil@comp.vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
>>(Which reminds me... is the butchered US version actually available on
>>video? I always tell people to make sure it's the proper version, but
>>I don't even know if the US version was released on video... can
>>anyone enlighten me?)

>*sigh* The "butchered US version" was only broadcast on television (and
>the last time I saw it on tv, it was the full version). Videotapes for
>sale or rental in the US are the full, all-dreams-included
>no-changed-ending version of the movie.

   Actually the buthered ("Sid Sheinberg" after the cretinous studio
head who wanted the cuts) version *is* included on the new Criterion
laserdisk. This package includes the original English cut with Father
Christmas, the 30 minute "What is Brazil" making-of documentary,
Terry talking on the optional second audio channel and "Love Conquers
All"  the butchered TV version.

>It's one of my top 5, also. I know it's unbutchered for rental because I
>rented it for some friends who couldn't believe I liked a movie with an
>ending like that so much.

   Possibly the single most devastating film-going experience I have
ever had. I remember sitting there in the theater stunned, unable to
stand up.

Chris Williams of
   Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
      chrisw@wwa.com
"How perfectly goddamn delightful it all is, to be sure" - C. Crumb