Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Single File

From: chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 96 00:05:27 GMT
Subject: Re: Single File
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

>In article <56t58v$6ke@cronkite.ocis.temple.edu>,
>lratclif@astro.ocis.temple.edu (Laurie Ratcliff) writes:
>
>> Some of you might hurt me for this, but the videos are, on the whole,
>>embarassingly bad,
>
>That's exactly what I was thnking.  But then again....you have to put them
>into a timeframe.

   Exactly. Put properly into the context of when they were created, Kate's
videos were not merely as good as everything else out there...they were
better.

   I'd have to show you some of the videos from that time frame for
comparison. At the time, the majority of videos were the classic
"Band In A Box" type. The US ABC program 20/20 had a feature
about the then brand new videodisc. The general opinion then was
that music videos might be the most compelling material.

   They showed a snippet of "Wuthering Heights" with these words:
"...from the straight-ahead rock of this performance by Tom Petty to the
sophisticated computer graphics of this one by Kate Bush".

    Kate's early videos were of their time, but are some of the best
of their time.

Chris Williams of
   Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
      chrisw@wwa.com
"How perfectly goddamn delightful it all is, to be sure" - C. Crumb