Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Finnegan's Wake

From: gearnoise@vnet.IBM.COM
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 96 15:45:03 EST
Subject: Finnegan's Wake
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Sometimes this newsgroup reminds me of James Joyce's classic, which
if it were possible to sum up in one phrase, it would be something along
the lines of "history repeats itself" (If you've never read it, here's
a hint: Start at the last sentence of the last chapter, and when it
just sort of stops, continue reading at the beginning of the book).
Anyway, the book was fun (no, I didn't even understand half of it, but I
did buy the "Skeleton key" to help me out), and this newsgroup is fun,
and a lot more understandable!

Some odds and ends:

1. The Charlotte, NC paper published a mostly favorable review of Skippy'
s new 3-ply CD, done by a Boston Globe reviewer.  For My Computer, which
he liked, he said that Kate's guest vocal "floats above all of" Skippy's
"overdubbed music".

2. Obviously, I like Skippy as a good shorthand for TAFKAP (I was going
to suggest "Queenie", but Skippy is more fitting).  Of the suggested
shorthands for Kate if she were to use her symbol as her monicker, one
suggestion was "Who? (American pronunciation)".  A better choice would
be "Whom!", with the American pronunciation (WhoOOMM!) (Play it LOUD!)

3. Unpopular favorites:  Well, one of my favorites on TRS is You're The
One.  That MUST be out of norm, 'cause I don't recall seeing it ever
mentioned here in the 8 months or so that I've been looking. (But then,
I like Susan Vega's ...Poultry Parts song too!)

4. The Singles File.  There is a Japanese verion of this video.  I think
it contains one or two more pieces than the regular. (It and I are in
two different states at the moment, so I can't verify)

5. Brazil:  If Kate is God of music, then maybe Terry Gilliam is Godess of
SF movies. If anyone has missed any of his (Time Bandits, The Adventures
of Baron Munchausen, Brazil, The Fisher King, The Twelve Monkeys), you've
missed part of life!  Brazil is his TD, and it's a tossup between Fisher
King and 12 Monkeys for his HOL.

6. One more plug for the McGarrigle sisters' Matapedia album. Thank God for
CD technology so I don't hwve to worry about wearing it out.

(PS. Elizabeth, I haven't forgotten my offer/promise.)
Neal Mulvenna                                          __/__/T_ -- -
internet: gearnoise@vnet.ibm.com                      / /\ </\ \ --