Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-43 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Less than 2 weeks till new Kate duet

From: chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 96 13:06 CST
Subject: Re: Less than 2 weeks till new Kate duet
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

>Chris Sweet wrote:

>>MTV europe has confirmed that Kate will appear on the song
>>"My Computer" on Prince's upcoming 3 cd set, Emancipation, to
>>be released Nov 19th. The song was completed via swapping
>>tapes...they never actually met in the studio. Supposedly the
>>song is about Prince's hobby of surfing the net on AOL. In fact
>>the song opens with AOL's greeting "You've got mail" and closes
>>with AOL's "Goodbye."

>Urr.  I'll have to find someone to tape the song for me -- or hope against
>hope that it's released as a single -- because I'm not about to shell out
>for a three CD set by "(unreproduceable glyph)" when I haven't cared for
>his last several single ones, just to hear one song.  I can hardly believe
>it, but someone's finally found a way to keep me from rushing out and
>buying a new Kate song!

    I'll have to read a review of the package. "The self-obsessed
wanker formerly known as Prince" (Thanks Stev0!) was refered to
on _The Red Shoes_ as "Prince", so, for the purposes of Kate-
related discussion, I think we can refer to him as Prince.

   I did like "Diamonds and Pearls", but have no reason to believe that
his last release on a label he hates should be anything other than
dregs.

>Should we assume that this song is an artifact of the same long-ago tape
>exchange which produced "Why Should I Love You?"  Or do we have any reason
>to suppose that Kate and "(unreproduceable glyph)" have resumed contact
>since then?  Given what we know about their "difficult" collaboration I
>would tend to assume the former, barring any definite word to the contrary.

     From the subject matter - it *might* be a Prince remix/remake of
_Deeper Understanding_. Or a floor wax.

     "...but it's pronounced THROAT-WARBLER MANGROVE."
     "You ARE a loony!"

--
Chris Williams of
Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago