Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Lionheart discussion

From: Ken Glasson <xtr36595301@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 14:15:00 -0700
Subject: Re: Lionheart discussion
To: ABMarvick@aol.com
CC: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

> Although IED doesn't (of course) allow for the possibility that anything Kate
> Bush has ever done is in any way flawed, he does agree with the principle
> of the above comment.  Those who disparage Lionheart are usually fans
> who never felt the magic of the album *in November 1978*.  IED's long
> search for the new import album during that fall in Los Angeles, the instant
> when he finally laid hands on the thing and was taken wondrously aback by
> its mysterious cover photograph, and the moment when the sacred objeKT
> finally sounded forth on his old phonograph, are experiences for which he
> is forever grateful.   Remember that in 1978 the sound of that voice and
> the quality of the album's production were still rare and novel, and that
> very little was yet known about Kate Bush at all in this country.  By knowing
> Kate's subsequent achievements we are all inclined to affix the stamp of
> relative rank to each, and in such a competition what music could hope
> to compete -- even Kate's own Lionheart?  But even the "lesser books
> of the Bible" are endowed, so IED hears, with the grace of God.
>
> -- Andrew Marvick (IED)
>     S                R                I

I think this comment could in some ways be applied to all of the albums. It
is easy to forget what the feeling was when you first got it.

I still have fond memories of Lionheart and appreciate it today, if only
because my sister had a huge Kate dressed up as a Lion photo on her wall that
I spent many years trying to steal.

It was a long time ago in a place far less cynical and her music trashed
everything else on the day...

Ken.