Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Lionheart discussion

From: ABMarvick@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 20:04:26 -0400
Subject: Lionheart discussion
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

>From Tom Tuerff's posting:

 >> I'm with you.  I've never understood the low rating LIONHEART
consistently
 >>gets from this crowd and, it seems, from Kate fans in general.

 > I think it's because, in retrospect, we know she could do better, because
 > she eventually did--still ahead of her were Dreaming and Hounds of Love.

Although IED doesn't (of course) allow for the possibility that anything Kate
Bush has ever done is in any way flawed, he does agree with the principle
of the above comment.  Those who disparage Lionheart are usually fans
who never felt the magic of the album *in November 1978*.  IED's long
search for the new import album during that fall in Los Angeles, the instant
when he finally laid hands on the thing and was taken wondrously aback by
its mysterious cover photograph, and the moment when the sacred objeKT
finally sounded forth on his old phonograph, are experiences for which he
is forever grateful.   Remember that in 1978 the sound of that voice and
the quality of the album's production were still rare and novel, and that
very little was yet known about Kate Bush at all in this country.  By knowing
Kate's subsequent achievements we are all inclined to affix the stamp of
relative rank to each, and in such a competition what music could hope
to compete -- even Kate's own Lionheart?  But even the "lesser books
of the Bible" are endowed, so IED hears, with the grace of God.

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
    S                R                I