Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

And So Is Love on TLTCTC

From: ABMarvick@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 20:04:33 -0400
Subject: And So Is Love on TLTCTC
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

 > I'm baffled at the use of And So Is Love, as the visuals are dull -- well,

 > as dull as looking at Kate's face for 4 minutes and 18 seconds could
 > ever be -- and the sequence doesn't advance the story one jot.

Although IED appreciates the qualification in the criticism above, and
while he hastens to add that IED has greatly enjoyed all of Richard's
intelligent and thought-provoking postings in this group, he is forced
to object to the notion that the "And So Is Love" section of TLTCTC
is just empty visuals that serve no purpose in the film.  On the contrary,
this is one of the most intriguing sections of the movie, in IED's view,
and though not exactly an action scene, it does indeed extend, complicate and
advance the thematic program of the whole.  Far
from simply a four-minute fix on Kate Bush herself, the clip reveals
several fascinating interlinking symbols and images that offer the
first key to the larger meaning of the story; and it also puts an entirely
new perspective on the meaning not only of the song as heard originally on
the album, but on the entire album itself.

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
    S                 R              I