Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: And So Is Love on TLTCTC

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 01:48:42 -0500
Subject: Re: And So Is Love on TLTCTC
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

ABMarvick wrote:

>> I'm baffled at the use of And So Is Love, as the visuals are dull -- well,
>> as dull as looking at Kate's face for 4 minutes and 18 seconds could
>> ever be -- and the sequence doesn't advance the story one jot.
>
>Although IED appreciates the qualification in the criticism above, and
>while he hastens to add that IED has greatly enjoyed all of Richard's
>intelligent and thought-provoking postings in this group,

I just can't keep from reading this line over and over again.  It is
incredibly flattering, especially considering the source.  And undeserved.
I'm not worthy!

>he is forced
>to object to the notion that the "And So Is Love" section of TLTCTC
>is just empty visuals that serve no purpose in the film.  On the contrary,
>this is one of the most intriguing sections of the movie, in IED's view,
>and though not exactly an action scene, it does indeed extend, complicate and
>advance the thematic program of the whole.  Far
>from simply a four-minute fix on Kate Bush herself, the clip reveals
>several fascinating interlinking symbols and images that offer the
>first key to the larger meaning of the story; and it also puts an entirely
>new perspective on the meaning not only of the song as heard originally on
>the album, but on the entire album itself.

Please elaborate on this.  If there is more to this sequence than meets the
eye, I certainly want to know about more about it, and would be entirely
happy to be proved wrong!

RAB

Richard Bensam Home Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~rabensam/

Gaffaweb: A Tribute To Kate Bush And Her Fans
http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/