Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Donovan

From: meredith <meth@smoe.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 21:01:04 -0400
Subject: RE: Donovan
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hi!

Wayne Fisher opined:

>I've said this before but maybe it's worth repeating. "Lord of Reedy River"
>is Kates best cover. Great vocals and I love the little water droplets.

Sorry, but in the great tradition of love-hounds everywhere I have to
disagree.  Kate's cover of "Lord Of The Reedy River" is completely
unlistenable, IMHO.  I have to skip over that track every time I listen to
the TWW CD.  I don't think it's the song as it was written, either -- the
arrangement is horrendous, and those electronic hooting noises in the
background just set my teeth on edge. Until _The Red Shoes_ came out, that
was the one and only song I could honestly say Kate should never have
recorded, at least for public consumption.

Just offering another perspective... :)

| Meredith Tarr                                              meth@smoe.org |
| Boonton, NJ USA                       http://remus.rutgers.edu/~woj/meth |
|  "There's a god out there, and god I wish it was mine" - Susan McKeown   |