Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "And So Is Love"

From: VERONICA WOOD <wood@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 21:19:31 -0400
Subject: Re: "And So Is Love"
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
CC: love-hounds-digest@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

owner-love-hounds-digest@gryphon.com wrote:

> Love-Hounds digest        Friday, 18 October 1996      Volume 12 : Number 330
>
> In this issue:
> Re: And So Is Love on TLTCTC
> Re: Lionheart discussion
> Re: kate bush fotos
> Re: Mike Nesmith, Videos
> Re: Skippy the BUSH Kangaroo
> Re: Night of the Swallow
> Kate about to start work on new album...?
> Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT KATE
> The Sensual World, and Donovan

> From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 01:48:42 -0500
> Subject: Re: And So Is Love on TLTCTC
>
> ABMarvick wrote:
>
> >> I'm baffled at the use of And So Is Love, as the visuals are dull -- well,
> >> as dull as looking at Kate's face for 4 minutes and 18 seconds could
> >> ever be -- and the sequence doesn't advance the story one jot.
> >
> >Although IED appreciates the qualification in the criticism above, and
> >while he hastens to add that IED has greatly enjoyed all of Richard's
> >intelligent and thought-provoking postings in this group,
>
> I just can't keep from reading this line over and over again.  It is
> incredibly flattering, especially considering the source.  And undeserved.
> I'm not worthy!
>
> >he is forced
> >to object to the notion that the "And So Is Love" section of TLTCTC
> >is just empty visuals that serve no purpose in the film.  On the contrary,
> >this is one of the most intriguing sections of the movie, in IED's view,
> >and though not exactly an action scene, it does indeed extend, complicate and
> >advance the thematic program of the whole.  Far
> >from simply a four-minute fix on Kate Bush herself, the clip reveals
> >several fascinating interlinking symbols and images that offer the
> >first key to the larger meaning of the story; and it also puts an entirely
> >new perspective on the meaning not only of the song as heard originally on
> >the album, but on the entire album itself.
>
> Please elaborate on this.  If there is more to this sequence than meets the
> eye, I certainly want to know about more about it, and would be entirely
> happy to be proved wrong!
>
> RAB
>
> _______________________________________
>
> Richard Bensam Home Page
> http://home.earthlink.net/~rabensam/
>
> Gaffaweb: A Tribute To Kate Bush And Her Fans
> http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/
>
> ------------------------------
>
> From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 01:48:42 -0500
> Subject: Re: Lionheart discussion
>
> ABMarvick wrote:
>
> >Those who disparage Lionheart are usually fans
> >who never felt the magic of the album *in November 1978*.  IED's long
> >search for the new import album during that fall in Los Angeles, the instant
> >when he finally laid hands on the thing and was taken wondrously aback by
> >its mysterious cover photograph, and the moment when the sacred objeKT
> >finally sounded forth on his old phonograph, are experiences for which he
> [...]
I am a new subscriber, but of course I have been a huge Kate Bush fan
for years and years...This post is really for RAB who doesn't see the
significance of "And So Is Love" in TLTCTC.  Don't you see the bird that
dies during that song later in the movie in her hair?  That is highly
symbolic.
Try and watch for other symbolic gestures--they are there!

On another note, I love hearing about other Kate Bush fanatics--in my
area I have never met one!

Veronica
wood@exis.net

wood@exis.net