Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Skippy the BUSH Kangaroo

From: dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)
Date: 18 Oct 1996 19:25:17 GMT
Subject: Re: Skippy the BUSH Kangaroo
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Stephen Wiener (swiener@onramp.net) wrote:
: >I also remember that that Saturday morning show also showed Skippy
: >the Bush Kangaroo so of course I thought Kate "Bush"  was from Australia and
: >only found out in 1985 that she was in fact English !!!!

: So I guess the only thing Kate related about this is the "bush" part but I
: can't
: believe someone besides me actually remembers this show. It must have been late
: 60's when it was on. I remember watching it one morning at my grandparent's
: house
: and my grandfather walked in and asked, "Is that a goat?" My sister and I
: started
: laughing and singing, "Skippy, Skippy, Skippy the bush goat!!" Maybe you had to
: be there.

I watched it as a kid growing up in England.  Lassie but with a Kangaroo.
Amazing how they could make an animal with a brain the size of a walnut
appear to have the wherewithall of a human being.  "So, there's someone
trapped beneath some boulders in the ravine 5 miles to the north of the
intersection of the outback trail and the Woomera Farm road?  Is that
what you are trying to ell me, Skippy".  I am amazed the actors could
keep a straight face :-) I was rivetted as a 9 year old though.

I moved to the US in the 80s and still think of that show when I see
the Skippy brand of peanut butter at the grocery store.

Derek
Derek H. Langsford                               dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu
Dept. of Biology                                 Tel. (619) 594 2885
San Diego State University