Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: kate videos

From: ttuerff@primenet.com (Tom Tuerff)
Date: 14 Oct 1996 14:19:01 -0700
Subject: Re: kate videos
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <53p3h9$ahl@rac1.wam.umd.edu>, jeffy@wam.umd.edu (Jeffrey Craig
Burka) wrote:

> In article <ttuerff-1210961009100001@ip200.phx.primenet.com>,
> Tom Tuerff <ttuerff@primenet.com> wrote:
> >Hounds of Love, a very strange, somewhat
> >pointless video that was Kate's first stab at directing. It's fun to look
> >at, but it doesn't go anywhere. She's trying to create an homage to
> >Hitchcock, and creates an homage to MTV mentality instead.
>
> Such a pity you're incapable of comprehending the connection between the
> video and the song.  The video does, indeed, go somewhere -- the same place
> as the song, and it's really quite brilliantly done.  HoL is perhaps the
> best of the 4 _HoL_ album videos (though that honor might go to RUTH).

Perhaps I need to look at it again, and I admit that I'm not the biggest
Hitchcock afficionado, but I stand by my opinion. It does have a rather
Bunuel-styled feel to the proceedings, but it's just never done anything
for me.

And while Kate is still no great shakes as a director (what she really
needs to do is direct somebody else's project--something she's not the
originator of), she's certainly gotten better. I like whole sections of
The Line..., and her video of "This Woman's Work" was a rather neat idea!

On the whole, most musicians who direct their own work have real problems
in making interesting pictures--witness the directorial attempts of Paul
McCartney, Frank Zappa, John Lennon (His "Imagine" film from 1971 makes me
wince, and Magical Mystery Tour is the KING of awful band-directed
films--), and countless others.

Sometimes you just gotta admit that you're good at some stuff and not at
others, you know?

TT

TT