Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Billboards

From: Julian Shaw <julian@dragonfire.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 21:54:29 +0100
Subject: Re: Billboards
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <325CF8B0.7011@HiWAAY.net>, Len Bullard <cbullard@HiWAAY.net>
writes
>That's the start.  Julian offered if someone could come up
>with her home address.  East Wickham farm would be one place,
>although she doesn't live there.  They say she has purchased
>a house in Reading.
(*Who* says?)
>  This likely to require some sleuthing.
>I don't think we will get much help here.  The next problem
>is deciding if we can send checks to a stranger and what to
>do if the amount received does not equal the cost.  A billboard
>will include space rental and site prep.

Well, actually, Len, I thought you and Stev0 were joking! In any case it
doesn't matter. I can't help because Reading isn't in Kent, it's in
...er... Berkshire, I think. (Yeah, I know I live in the UK but
geography never was one of my strong points!)

OK, given that this idea appears to be serious here is my opinion for
what it's worth: please don't do it, folks.

Any major recording star can safely take it for granted that their fans
want to see them. Have you ever heard of a campaign by fans demanding
that their idol *doesn't* tour?

Kate must be well aware that all her fans worldwide would give just
about anything to see her "live". She must therefore have very strong
reasons for *not* touring. Whatever they are, we should respect them. Do
you *honestly* think that putting a billboard up outside her house is
going to have any effect on her decision? The only thing it's likely to
achieve is to cause her considerable embarrassment and invade her
privacy. (This is particularly true if she is a very private person,
which by all indications and accounts she is.) Ask yourself if you
really want to be responsible for that?

If you really want to try and persuade her to do something she clearly
doesn't want to do, then you could try writing to her or perhaps take
out advertising space in the music press. At least try that first.

Julian

Turnpike evaluation. For Turnpike information, mailto:info@turnpike.com