Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

kate videos

From: billings@uhavax.hartford.edu
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 14:33:26 EDT
Subject: kate videos
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

I have a question about the intent and marketing of Kate Bush's early videos.
I realize that she started making clips for songs a few years before MTV even
premiered, but I was wondering about the actual production of her clips.  I
guess the only way I can ask this and have it make sense is this: were the
videos for "Wow" (Single File version), "Hammer Horror", "Them Heavy People",
etc., actually played on any video programs or were they simply performance
pieces from variety shows or something like that?  I just reread that and it
makes little sense.  Does anyone have a clue as to what I am asking?  I want to
know if the videos were made in a studio, on a budget, like the ones from TD and
I assume HOL, or if they were simply spur of the moment performances on TV
shows.  Either way, she was well ahead of her time.  On another note, I think
there were four videos from HOL, correct?  I have seen none of them.  Are they
all concept (?) videos, a la Tori Amos's "Crucify" and Madonna's "Like A
Prayer", or are they live videos or what.  I am just curious, but I will know
soon enough, because I plan on buying THE WHOLE STORY soon.

shane