Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds

From: ttuerff@primenet.com (Tom Tuerff)
Date: 10 Oct 1996 13:49:02 -0700
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <9610100639.AA06713@helix.com.au>, jodie@helix.com.au (Jodie
O'Keefe) wrote:

> Hi All!
> My name is Jodie and I am yet another avid fan of Kate Bush and Tori
> Amos.  My first question to you is does anyone know of a time that Kate
> has ever been down under? I was thinking maybe she had been down under
> at one stage to gather her inspiration for songs like The Dreaming.

Yeah, Kate went on vacation to Australia at some point before writing The
Dreaming, and that is where she was inspired to write the title song. Pity
nobody snapped any pix of her on the beach.

> My second request is along the lines of any other female artists from around
> the globe who have similar lyric styles and music similarities to Kate
or Tori?
> Heaven forbid me playing anything but Tori or Kate on my cd player but
> sometimes I would like to discover some new music from other female
> artists that sound similar to them both.

Happy Rhodes. I haven't heard her stuff, but she gets raves from everybody
in this room that has. You might also like: Sarah McLachlan, Sinead
O'Connor (especially The Lion And The Cobra), Clannad, Capercaillie,
Altan, stuff like that. I know I do.

TT
 P.S.--It's no sin to want to expand your musical vocabulary! If you're
interested in Kate, you might want to know that two of her most sited
influences are Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart, and she's a big fan of
the albums "Overnight Sensation" (FZ) and "Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)"
(CB).

If those albums don't warp your mind, you'll at least be able to detect
the influence they've had on our Kate, particularly the Beefheart.