Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Delius Society and Kate

From: chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 96 18:41 CDT
Subject: Re: Delius Society and Kate
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Jeff Gower writes:

>Doug Johnson wrote:
>>I think it's great that she has garnered respect in the classical world as
>>>well!

>Thanks Doug.  I also think it is great that someone like Knussen is honest
>enough to say good things about Kate.  But alot of classical 'high-brows'
>aren't, unfortunately.  Here is an example:
>I am an avid fan of the composer Frederick Delius, and last March I went to
>the annual Delius Festival in Florida.  The Florida branch is basically a
>group of blue-hairs and nerds who would never know who Kate is, but I went
>to the Festival because several members of the original Delius Society from
>England were there to give talks, etc., and the England branch is generally
>'on top of things'.  Anyhow, during one of the luncheons, I was sitting
>with several of the English folks, and I brought up the Kate Bush song
>"Delius" to them.  Well, of course they knew who she was, but they all
>expressed extreme disdain for her and her music!

   In this context, Kate has two major strikes against her; first, as
a "pop" musician she is immediately suspect...the thought that a popular
artist could make "serious" music is inconceviable (never mind that many
serious composers were the "pop" music of their time); and second, the
"sex symbol" marketing of her first album may be all that classical
snobs can remember of her.

> These numbskulls couldn't
>even muster up any appreciation towards Kate for bringing the name of
>Delius to countless young people!  (I became aware of Delius through Kate,
>by the way.)  Oh well, at least Delius' amanuensis Eric Fenby has
>acknowledged a certain degree of appreciation for the Kate song.  I guess
>what I am trying to say, Doug, is that yes it is good to hear positive
>comments regarding Kate from the classical crowd, which is so full of
>uppity frustrated soul-less 'musicians' who wouldn't know genuinely good
>music if they heard it.  (Sorry for the generalization, but I have spent
>alot of time with so-called classical 'musicians' and, believe me, it
>wasn't most enjoyable or uplifting time I have ever spent.  ;-)

   Ah well, some classical music fans love Kate's music...our own
beloved IED (AFAIK) listens to no "pop" artists other than Kate, the
rest of his collection is classical. And Vickie and my late friend
Tim Hathcock's favorite composers were Pendereki, Ligiti, Bruckner,
Bach and Kate Bush.

   Nigel Kennedy didn't play on Kate's records because of the money
or needing more fame (with what I believe remains the best selling
classical recording of all time, _The Four Seasons_ he doesn't exactly
need more of either). He did it because he believes that she is one of
the finest composers working today.

P.S. I hope you have a copy of the Love-Hounds Collection, with
Kate's video of _Delius_, and her appearance with Dr. Fenby on
_The Russel Harty Show_.

--
Chris Williams of
Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago