Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Delius Society and Kate

From: edouglas@dejel.com
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 16:21:44 -0500
Subject: RE: Delius Society and Kate
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Jeff wrote:

>Thanks Doug.  I also think it is great that someone like Knussen is honest
>enough to say good things about Kate.  But alot of classical 'high-brows'
>aren't, unfortunately.   Doug, is that yes it is good to hear positive
>comments regarding Kate from the classical crowd, which is so full of
>uppity frustrated soul-less 'musicians' who wouldn't know genuinely good
>music if they heard it.  (Sorry for the generalization, but I have spent
>alot of time with so-called classical 'musicians' and, believe me, it
>wasn't most enjoyable or uplifting time I have ever spent.  ;-)
>
>Jeff

Regarding my previous comment -

>>I think it's great that she has garnered respect in the classical world as
>>well!

- I obviously omitted the word "some", as in "I think it's great that she
has garnered some respect in the classical world as well."

I am well aware of the philosophy "The only good composer is a dead
composer," as I've run into it frequently myself.  I've also heard a member
of the renowned Chicago Symphony describe himself as nothing more than a
"plumber", a mere technician.  I don't know whether to put an ironic happy
face or a sad face here, so I'll use    :-|

Cheers -

Doug Johnson