Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hi! (and some responses)

From: jgower@mtholyoke.edu (Jeff Gower)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 10:44:41 -0400
Subject: Hi! (and some responses)
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hi folks.  I am new to this list, but I have admired Kate's music since I
first saw her on Saturday Night Live in 1979 (I believe it was '79).  I
went out the next day and bought "The Kick Inside", and have gone from
there - I had to buy imports for the next few albums because she really was
so little known here in USA then.  I still think she is one of the most
influential, creative, unique musicians of our time.  I remember filling my
college dorm hall with Kate's music in 1979-81, and the other students
there used to ridicule it - but I knew it would be big one day (and as you
all know, "Hounds of Love" came out and she finally became known in the
USA).  Anyway, I've enjoyed the list so far, and look forward to 'talking'
with you folks.

Here are a few responses to previous postings:
>> 4. Is there a general feeling among all of you about Tori Amos?

Good question.  I don't know much about her or her music, but I remember
when I first heard her and thought that she was the most blatant rip of
Kate that I had ever heard.  I've since heard some other tunes, and can
begin to see Tori's own style more, but I wonder: Does Tori acknowledge
Kate's obvious influence?  Or does she ignore any comments about it?  Sorry
if this is old hat.  One thing, though - from the interviews I have read or
seen with her, she seems to be a bit of a flake personally - a little to
into psychobabble and 'deep thoughts' for my taste.  Perhaps it all just
stems from some of her unfortunate experiences, but still it gets hard to
take after a while.
Speaking of other female artists - how does Bjork rank with you folks?  I
think she is pretty good, rather unique and interesting.  (She's no Kate,
however!)

>> 5. This question is lame, but is there a general favorite album of Kate's
>> among you? I'm curious as to what people like, even though it obviously
>> differs.
>>
>Here's mine, listed as I've told many people that they oughta buy them:
>1. Hounds of Love. It doesn't get better than this. A masterpiece.

I agree that HOL is probably her best, from all viewpoints (i.e., her more
experimental side, her more 'pop' side, etc.).  At first I didn't like side
1 because I was so into "The Dreaming" at the time, but I came to love it,
and who can argue with the FACT :-) that side 2 is a work of genius, eh?

>2. The Kick Inside. Almost as good as Hounds, but not quite. The album that
>   stirs up the most Kate/Tori comparisons.

A great album, but for me its appeal is mostly nostalgic in that it was my
first Kate album.  When compared to HOL, Dreaming, or NFE, it doesn't hold
up.  It does contain moments of unparalleled beauty, though.  And yes, I
can see how this is the LP most compared with Tori.

>3. The Dreaming. Probably her best record, but very disturbing and not
>something you can play when you're in a good mood. Suicide and hopelessnes
>show up a lot here. There are moments here that are downright scary.

Haha!  I love this album!  To this day, there is no album I have ever heard
that compares to it.  Genuine originality throughout!

>4. Never For Ever. Her third album, better than the second (which I'll get
>   to...)

The first (earliest chronologically, that is) of the Kate album
'must-haves', in my opinion.  This is when she really started to find her
niche, I think.  There are a few weak moments (I don't like "Violin" -
wasn't that an earlier-written tune?), but overall a very enjoyable album.

>6. Lionheart. Can you say, "Sophomore Curse?" Kate doesn't like this
>album, and neither do most people. Even in early fan magazines, this album
>was >always people's least favorite. But, that was before she recorded...

Well, I know that folks don't care much for this album, but you can't deny
the beauty of some of the songs on this one - I love "In Search of Peter
Pan", and "Lionheart" is really nice.  But yeah, this always did have that
'leftovers' feel to it.

>7. Sensual World. Time Magazine gave this album a two-word review: Press
>>Delete. (It's a reference to one of the songs on the album.) I couldn't
>agree >more, but you'll find that those people who discovered Kate with
>this album
>tend to place it higher.

I don't agree - I think this album is quite good, really.  Yes, a bit of a
let-down after the brilliance of the preceding two, but still a very
enjoyable album!

Well, there they are - my worthless opinions.  I don't have "Red Shoes" (I
am ashamed to say) because I took a leave of absence from Katophilia for
several years and heard that it was quite poppish.  But now that I have
found this list, perhaps I'd better run out and get it so that I am 'on top
of things', eh?

Thanks,
Jeff