Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: wuthering heights and other thoughts

From: "Stuart M. Castergine" <scasterg@dispatch.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 22:21:47 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: wuthering heights and other thoughts
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

On Sun, 6 Oct 1996 billings@uhavax.hartford.edu wrote:

> any of you heard Pat Benatar's "Wuthering Heights."  Because I like Pat
> Benatar a little bit, but I don't think I would like her doing this tune.

She's got a good voice and she does a fair job on the cover, but it
doesn't hold a Candle in the Wind to Kate's version.

> are never any of Kate.  If you have them let me know, just because I'm
> curious as to what poses she's done for them.

Check  at <http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa> in the image archive there for
various poses Kate has done on all kinds of photos/posters.

> My question, however, is about "Jig of Life."  At the risk of sounding stupid,
> I'm not sure if I see how this song relates to the rest of the concept.  Maybe
> I am not looking into the lyrics deeply enough, but it kind of confuses me.

In short it is supposed to represent her "later" self visiting her and
saying "C'mon, you gotta hang in there because if you die *I* die. Let
me live because I have this life and a little boy and a little girl and
this is my time and how dare you take it away when you're just an old
memory!" Or something to that effect. :-)

> Also, someone responded to the question of "what is the spoken part of
> Jig of Life" by saying "you don't want to know."  My confusion is on the
> rise.

That was Stev0 Berlin. Who is not a fan of John Carder Bush's
poetry. Kate's brother wrote and speaks the poetry at the end of the song.
I rather like it myself. Here it is (over here!):

               Can't you see where memories are kept bright?
               Tripping on the water like a laughing girl.
               Time in her eyes is spawning past life,
               One with the ocean and the woman unfurled,
               Holding all the love that waits for you here.
               Catch us now for I am your future.
               A kiss on the wind and we'll make the land.
               Come over here to where When lingers,
               Waiting in this empty world,
               Waiting for Then, when the lifespray cools.
               For Now does ride in on the curl of the wave,
               And you will dance with me in the sunlit pools.
               We are of the going water and the gone.
               We are of water in the holy land of water
               And all that's to come runs in
               With the thrust on the strand."

>  Finally, who is Jane Siberry and does she really have a song called
> "Little Earthquakes", because Tori does, and I just don't know if people
> are trying to be silly or what.

That was Stev0 too. :-) He doesn't even have to try to be silly. Few of
us on the list do. I think we get a little punchy having to discuss the
same things over and over while Kate takes a few years off to pick out
new carpeting for her house.

>  SO, who is Jane?  Thank you all a lot,

A lot of people on the list like Jane Siberry. No she doesn't have a song
or album called Little Earthquakes. I haven't heard her, but I read
through some of her lyrics at http://archive.uwp.edu and I thought they
were good. She comes very highly recommended and I've been meaning to
pick up one of her albums.

Stu

mailto:scasterg@dispatch.com == Stuart M. Castergine | PGP: public key:   ---
All young gentle dreams drowning                     | finger              |/
In life's grief                                      | Ptcd@dialup.oar.net |\
Can you hang on to me? --Kate Bush, _Big Stripey Lie_|