Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Anybody there (and is this group what I think)?

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 19:55:38 -0500
Subject: Re: Anybody there (and is this group what I think)?
To: JS <julian@dragonfire.demon.co.uk>
Cc: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Julian wrote:

>Er... hello?
>
>I'm fairly new to the Net and completely new to this group, so I have
>two questions.
>
>1. Is this group dedicated to Kate Bush? The word 'gaffa' is usually
>mentioned when talking about a song on "The Dreaming". (If not, ignore
>the next question. ...And I did try to find out via a web site, but the
>link didn't connect.)

This question did my heart good.  If I can indulge in a little
behind-the-scenes Gaffaweb gossip -- for which I hope my fellow
Gaffaweb-slingers will forgive me -- when we discussed what to name the
site, one argument in favor of calling it "Gaffaweb" (over many other
candidates) was that the word is *so* distinctive it would immediately be
recognized by Kate fans as having to do with her, while non-fans would not
be misled into thinking it was about something else.  Several months ago, I
myself did not know there was a Kate Bush newsgroup (I'd once seen a
reference to a mailing list, but it sounded improbable to me!) but when I
saw "rec.music.gaffa" in a list of newsgroups, I knew immediately what it
*had* to be and subscribed at once.  And here, the same happened with you.
So I guess we were right about that word after all!

Speaking of which: please note the Gaffaweb URL, which should appear below
if my signature is working right.  We hope this site -- particularly the
FAQ -- will answer any further questions!

>2. Is it active? (I subscribed but received no downloads, which is
>pretty unusual.)

Well, either you're seeing this message, or you aren't.

RAB

Richard Bensam Home Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~rabensam/

Gaffaweb: A Tribute To Kate Bush And Her Fans
http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/