Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Goddess Kate: In Love With Her From the Beginning...

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 19:55:38 -0500
Subject: Re: The Goddess Kate: In Love With Her From the Beginning...
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Xina wrote:

>I think I have been in love with Kate Bush and her music from the first
>moment I saw her on Saturday Night Live in 1977 curled up on top of a
>piano, singing "The Man with the Child In His Eyes".  I went out the next
>day and special ordered the cassette of Kick Inside....I literally wore it
>out and have been "hooked" ever since.

What an amazing feat of clairvoyance, to see an event which wouldn't
actually occur until at least a year later!  But you must have had a very
long wait for that cassette.  :-)  I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist the
temptation to make a cheap joke.  The fact is, I felt exactly the same way
when Kate appeared on SNL in, um, December 1978 -- I knew instantly that
she was someone very special and I wanted to know everything there was to
know about her.  (Of course, I still do.)  I have never felt that way about
a performer or musician, so instantly and so completely, before or since.

>No one I have ever turned on to Kate and her music have ever been able to
>resist her.  I guess its just that completely infectious honesty of her and
>her music! ;))

Sadly, I can't say the same.  In fact, it turned out that I knew a group of
people who were in the audience at that very SNL broadcast -- they were not
particularly impressed with Kate or with Eric Idle, but they never missed
an opportunity to remind me that *they* had been there and I hadn't.

>A couple of decades and several albums later, Kate *never* fails to take my
>breath away.  Each album is a delightful surprise and she is always
>breathtakingly beautiful as she was the first time I saw her perform.  As a
>musician and vocalist myself I would say without hesitation that she is the
>muse personified, if not the Goddess herself.
>
>Okay so Im gushing!!

Perhaps, but hardly out of place here.  :-)

RAB

Richard Bensam Home Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~rabensam/

Gaffaweb: A Tribute To Kate Bush And Her Fans
http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/