Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Touring and "Evolution"

From: "Rick Creighton" <rcreighton@smtpinet.aspensys.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 96 15:24:47 EST
Subject: Touring and "Evolution"
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net, rcreighton@smtpinet.aspensys.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Rhys said, on Kate touring:

    >which is relevant to Kate, is one of having evolved so much in their
    >music to be unable to give it justice on stage. What justice could be
    >done to Cloudbusting or Big Stripey Lie on stage?

I believe what you mean is that they (the Beatles and KaTe) have become so
reliant on the "tools of their trade" that their music could no longer stand on
it's own in live, un-edited, un-tweaked performance...

As much as I love KaTe's music (and the Beatles!), the simple truth is that it
is NOT the evolution of their MUSIC that prevents them from touring, it is the
evolution of their STYLE of performing that music that prevents an effective
stage performance. If Kate wrote music that was primarily acoustic, (or even
just straight electric stuff that could played in one pass, without 128 tracks
of mixing, and 64 sequence channels, and 16 drum machines, et.al....) her music
would most likely be just as moving, AND it would be performable in a live
setting. HOWEVER, KaTe, in her infinite freedom as an artist, has deemed it
necessary to take advantage of every technological doodad and thingamabob at her
disposal in the studio, in order to create the images and sounds she wants to
record in her music...

As much as I dislike Tori Amos (and all the rest of her snivelling, "Oh, I'm
such a poor victim" slacker contemporaries...) I DO like the fact that I can hum
(or even sing) along with many of her songs, AND I can remember the melodies,
and reproduce them when whistling in the shower (or humming on the train)
without having to be a musical viruoso. You can plunk her songs out on a guitar,
piano, or tin whistle. I would venture to say you couldn't do that with much of
KaTe's work in the last 10 years...

Pink Floyd continues to perform publically, regardless of how "technically"
complex and over-produced their music becomes. And they STILL manage to do their
songs justice live. I've seen it several times.

Saying that an artist's music had "evolved" past the point of permitting live
performance is a cop-out. Most likely, KaTe is tired of the BS involved with
touring, she is getting a little too old for the road, and she doesn't want to
give up the safety, security, and comfort of her studio...

Would you, if you had thousands of fans as rabid as us hounding you?

As a fan, I wish KaTe would just drop all the electronic gadgetry, play the
piano, get a good rhythm section and a few acoustic guitars, and just SING!

But as a fellow human being, I can certainly understand why she stays at home
drinking tea, smoking cigs, and occasionally writing a new tune in her nice warm
study. Personally, I would probably stay at home too, and occasionally "press
execute", much like what I'm doing now...

|   Richard A. Creighton            |  e:mail: emerald7@his.com            |
|   Member, HTML Writer's Guild     |  WWW: http://www.his.com/~emerald7   |
|        "Ne laeteris inimica mea super me" - Thomas Ravenscroft           |